Know Your Farmer
Aside from requiring a small membership fee, the KC Food Circle has no financial interest in any of our Farmer members. Our farmers agree to meet our production standards by signing our Farmers Pledges. If farmers employ any practices or chemicals that may not comply with our Pledge standards, the exceptions are noted in their directory listing. They write their own listings for this Directory and web page. As an all-volunteer organization, we do not inspect or certify their growing and animal treatment practices or verify any other claims. We cannot guarantee our Farmers’ product quality or performance. If you have questions about what is meant by any particular term in a listing, please contact the Farmer directly. Our mission is to provide people the information they need to build trusting relationships with those who grow their food.
Understanding that we must first build and then preserve healthy soil in order to grow healthy fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and mushrooms, we require all our plant and mushroom farmer-members to sign this pledge.
- To enhance the health of the land I farm, prevent erosion, and limit losses due to crop diseases through such methods as: the proper application of manure and compost to the soil; planting “green manure” crops and nitrogen-fixing legumes; rotational plantings of complementary crops; drip irrigation; and fallowing
- To never use synthetic nitrogen, phosphorus or potassium fertilizers
- To reduce losses due to insects through such methods as: crop rotation and diversity; encouraging the presence of animals that prey on insects; and insect predator introduction
- To deal with unwanted plants in my fields through such methods as: cover-cropping, mulching, manual removal, tilling, and flame-weeding
- To only use fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides, fungicides (including those used on treated seeds), and other biocides that are on the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Organic Program’s “National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances”
- To never use genetically engineered seeds
- To use potable water when washing produce
- To ensure that any fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, mushrooms and/or value-added products I sell or distribute from other local farms were produced in accordance with this pledge
Understanding that we can only be healthy if the meat, poultry, eggs, and milk we eat come from healthy animals, and believing that farm animals deserve to be allowed to perform behaviors essential to their well-being, we require all our animal farmers to sign this pledge. I pledge:
Understanding that we can only be healthy if the meat, poultry, eggs, and milk we eat come from healthy animals, and believing that farm animals deserve to be allowed to perform behaviors essential to their well-being, we require all our animal farmers to sign this pledge.