The KC Food Circle’s off-shoot CSA Coalition project (www.KC-CSAC.org) is designed to educate and inform local eaters (locavores) about Community Supported Agriculture and to publish individual program details as provided by the various share-providers in the Kansas City area.
Eaters, click here to access the KC CSA Coalition web site which maintains detailed info on individual local CSA programs. Some KCFC Member growers with CSA programs may not be listed at KC-CSAC – if you have questions or need help with lookups, please contact us.
Local CSA managers are encouraged to contact Season Burnett directly in order to get their information collected and published. Even if your CSA shares are all sold for this year, the information you provide now can jump-start your sales for next season.
Growing Growers Kansas City: www.growinggrowers.org
Kansas City Community Gardens: www.kccg.org
Aside from the price and method of payment, other questions consumers should ask before joining a CSA include:
- How much experience does a farmer have in growing produce in our area?
- Prior to starting a CSA, a farmer’s experience can include growing for and selling at farmers markets.
- What methods does a farmer use to grow produce and raise farm animals? The Kansas City Food Circle requires producers to sign a pledge concerning their Earth-friendly practices.
- What is the place and time of the produce delivery? Pickup of the weekly bag of goodies needs to be convenient for both the farmer and the consumer.
Meet farmers face-to-face at the KC Food Circle’s Eat Local and Organic! Annual Exhibition of Farmers (the last Saturday in March *and* the first Saturday in April.)
Purchase organic produce, free-range meats and garden seedlings, and sign up for a CSA.
- In Kansas, the expo is held at the Shawnee Civic Centre, 13817 Johnson Drive
- In Missouri, the expo is held at the Penn Valley Community College Campus
3201 Southwest Trafficway, Kansas City, Missouri
Admission and parking are free. Families are welcome.
For more information contact Dave Lawrence at 913-620-8427,
or visit www.KCFoodCircle.org